My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://twowheeledworld.com
and update your bookmarks. See you in a second!

Friday, May 15, 2009

Le Beetche'...


While the high country's snow turns to mud, Spring on the Front Range is a fantastic place to be, and so I got to thinkin'...





Trail lingo. It's a funny thing. You know you've lived and trained in a place long enough where simply the words "Jones Park" mean the precise distance, terrain type, and level of difficulty of the ride.


There's no need for "how long are we gonne be out?" or "is it haaaaaard?"


For example, the Stunt Double knows exactly what I mean when I say "Almagre." See, to him, it means, "6+ hours, no lightening in the forecast, bring the snack pack." It's an underground mountain bikers' language complete with verb conjugations and pronoun posession.





Want to go long? All you gotta say is:


"Dude: 9am from home; GOG, Red Rock, Intemann, GC, Columbine, Buck, Jacks, Sesame, Palmer, Section 16, Inteman, Red Rock, Starbucks."


To me that means the following: 4-5 hours, depending on photo stops; 5k feet of vertical, 4 gel shots and an energy bar. 2 large water bottles with a stiff mix of powdered drink mix.






Want steeps? One word: Barr. My way; expect 4+ hours with a killer climb and lots of hikers on the front end, wild flowers galore, 5500 ft of climbing, 4 gel shots and a PB n' J at the Camp. This means nothing to most of you. But to those in the know, it's a dialogue. A training diary. It's a plan...






And some trails you've got what I call "the wrapper." To the newbie, the word "Superloop" might mean nothing more than a huge piece of red licorice. To me and a handful of my guys, it means (without spilling the beans) one-of-the-hardest-rides-you'll-do-all-summer, and, better bring extra beef jerky. No joke.





Even the Mrs. is on board with this mantra. I'll leave here a note with my route on the kitchen counter: "dude: N. Baptist, The Roooooock, Cinco Muertes, " and she knows exactly when to notify the authorities that I've been out too long.


She'll even leave a similar note for me:

"Yo chicken: Rampart, Williams, the 'Fonda: join us after - no spandex allowed."



Yep - I like to say I'm bi-lingual... I'm thinking about approaching Rosetta Stone about this language.. Could be my ticket outta here...




2 comments: