Think you can't relate to a wall full of bike tools? Think again...
A good workbench should get more comfortable over time. Like the perfect baseball mit we all had as kids would contour to the hand over the years.... so does the well-used workbench...
Each tool with a specific purpose. Each nick in the wood of the workbench the scar from some specific mission. Some of these tools purchased, some handed down, and a few of these tools I even built to deal with grimy old bike parts full of grease, grit, and ground up biomass from forests near and far...
When new wood and pegboard becomes stained by paint, solvents, and bike grease. It gets sawed on, clamped to, and wailed on with a hammer. It gets cursed at while trying to loosen seized bolts from seasons' past...
It opens beers, holds skis, it helps with plumbing projects and faucet repairs. Occassionally, it hits back, tearing the skin from my knuckles. It gets climbed on, grinded on, leaned upon, and drilled into...

Like the tools that hang on it, the workbench only gets better with time. We all have the right tools - it's a matter of finding the creativity to put those tools to use that make us unique...

In other news, my quest to infiltrate the local media continues....one month at a time. I give you: Mr. July...
Fulfilling pin-up dreams everywhere...

5 comments:
You forgot to mention all of the stickers from schwag bags, bike shops, and companies that have long since gone out of business. Those are some of my favorite parts of a workbench. :-)
Name your favorite company that's gone out of business:
Grafton
Paul
Curve
Kooka
Baraccuda
Onza
Tioga
Specialized. Oh wait..
Well, I was going to go with Onza, but it looks like they're still doing business (http://www.onza.com/) albeit a little differently than I remember. Oh, and Paul (http://www.paulcomp.com/) and Tioga (http://www.tiogausa.com/main.html) haven't gone out of business either.
Manitou Mountain Bikes, Amp Research....
Hey, that's my brad-nailer you son of a *&^%$@!
Really brought back memories of building the bench with you. I am so happy that it has served you so well over time. The bench and I thank you.
Post a Comment