My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://twowheeledworld.com
and update your bookmarks. See you in a second!

Sunday, June 8, 2008

The Air Up There...

Sing it with me.....


"Aaaaalleluyah!....Aaaaalleluyah!...."







Slowly but surely the sun whittle's down what's left of a record winter. And when Winter Park's 2008 series opens next weekend, it's all about the climbing. A very short 5.5 mile hillclimb from the bottom to the top of the ski area. And at the bottom, summer is starting to show its signs at every turn in the trail...








Nearing timberline, however, is a whole different story...




And so gasping for air that just isn't there, at 11,250ft, you come to the stark realization that up here, it's gonna be a very short summer...


It should come as no surprise that I have a particular affinity when the trail turns uphill, and so I'm looking for a strong result next Saturday...






It all depends on who shows up, though. Former world mountain bike champ Ned Overend occasionally shows at Winter Park; so does 3-time national champ Jeremy Horgan-Kobelski. To be going up against guys like this gives me nothing but pride. But man, I hope I've done my homework right...














6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Matt,

Hurdy and I rode up Gold Camp to Frosty's the other day, and we noticed a trail that veers off right just before the fourth tunnel. Any idea where that goes?

Thanks!
Jefe

Two Wheeled World said...

Ya it's just a steep shortcut to St Peter's Dome overlook. You know the little parking area you come to after Gold Camp/Old Stage meet up, after a couple switchbacks - right there.

Anonymous said...

Great photos M-Stick

Anonymous said...

By "steep," do you mean grunting away at a 32x18 on the singlespeed, clicking into a granny gear on a geared bike, or walking?

Jefe

Two Wheeled World said...

That's probably left to interpretation. I think on an SS you'd be doing a little grunting, and a little walking. I typically forego it (always, actually) in favor of getting creeped out in the tunnel.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, pal. I hope your race this weekend went well.

Jefe