Winter Park's 2008 Mountain Bike Series opener rallied the troops with the curse of a 5.5 mile hillclimb. And they came in droves...

Base elevation: 9000ft
Top elevation: 11,250ft
Race time: 36 minutes flat.I had a "you know you're Pro"moment Saturday: You know you're Pro when..............your number plate says you are...
And when race results tell you you are...
I went through so many phases during this short race I felt like Ross friggin' Perot. Lead group from the gun....feeling strong...trying to conquer the world...fading....fading....standing up...bridging the gap...falling back....giving up on life....resurrecting the legs...bridging up.....catching a couple....just barely holding on...
The human heart can only beat so fast. For me, it's about 196 hummingbird-like beats per minute at its max. During a hillclimb mountain bike race, one finds that limit very fast. And you can't raise it- believe me...I've tried.
In the end I took a healthy 7th place out of 40 in the Pro Men division.
Next up: Sand Creek Series #3, Wednesday. Beer and recovery do not go hand-in-hand. June 2008 has turned out to be the cliche': race, recover (a little), repeat.

3 comments:
Congrats Simmy! Do they still finish with that extra steep, rocky, rutted out section at the top? I always hated that part...
Right at the top of Mary Jane - at the top of all the lifts - oh it's steep, but it wasn't too rutted. It was service roads all the way because of the lingering snow.
Strong work M-Stick!
Post a Comment