My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://twowheeledworld.com
and update your bookmarks. See you in a second!

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

If It Can Happen, It Will Happen...



Fact: I still get nervous before every single race. A 16-year veteran to the mountain bike racing scene, counting down every minute until that moment comes crashing like a fist at the door instills nothing less than an instinctual urge to pee, like, twelve times.






The nervousness - that dry-mouth-knotted-up-stomach feeling - is such a primitive form of survival. And during a mountain bike race one gets an uncanny sense that they are racing to survive.






The day I stop getting nervous is the day I quit racing. Because, in a sense, I will have already quit.









When your average heart rate for a full hour is 178bpm, you can pretty much guarantee you've got it pinned. And for the final Sand Creek race of the series I definitely had it pinned.





So with the systems redlined and the front tire cutting like a blade through the twisty singletrack...




I fought hard to a 3rd place finish in the Pro division. Saweeeet. 4th place in the series. Niiice.


By the way - pure irony struck recently in what can only be described as the purest form of Murphy's Law when the two components that contribute to this blog the most - my bike and my camera - got into a fist-fight on my top tube leaving a most unfortunate scab....dammit. Peace and love, people, peace and love...





By the way, by the way, click the link, then click the first picture. Recognize anyone?




4 comments:

Jeff and Hillary (Hurdy) said...

you do more for pro cycling than anyone. Did you catch that guy in the 4th pic? You go boyyyyyyy!

Anonymous said...

Jan Wejak?

Two Wheeled World said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Two Wheeled World said...

Jan Weijak? Ja?!
I did catch that guy in the 4th pic. But I didn't the week before!